[BRLTTY] Starting Orca on Fedora.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jun 2 22:15:19 EDT 2018

After having followed lots of wrong paths, I finally stumbled on the right one.
All that seems to need to be done is, when on the gdm (Gnome Display Manager)
login screen, to press the three-key combination Suepr+Alt+s. For those who may
not know, Super seems to be the new name for the Windows key. What's cool is
that even braille began to work.

Both the left and right Super (Windows) keys work for this, as do both the left
and right Alt keys - in other words, all of the four possible combinations,
along with the letter s, work. The combination is actually a persistent toggle
- pressing it again turns Orca off, and again turns it on, etc. The current
setting survives a reboot.

Now for something that I hope can be fixed. I normally don't have a monitor
connected. What I've discovered is that, when gdm is enabled, login (getty)
prompts on other ttys are blocked until gdm is up, and gdm waits for a monitor
to be connecgted. In other words, with gdm enabled and with no minitor
connected (my usual case), I can't log in anymore even on another tty. My
personal opinion is that getty instances shouldn't depend on the idiosyncracies
of the urrent system default target and whatever its dependencies happen to be.

Those who'd like to use a graphical environment should, of course, install
Fedora Workstation. If, however, you're like me, i.e. you installed Fedora
Server, this is what I did first:

   dnf groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
   dnf groupinstall "Fedora Workstation"
   systemctl disable getty at tty1 # to free up tty1 for gdm
   systemctl enable gdm # to select Gnome to be the display manager
   systemctl set-default graphical.target # to have the display manager started

And now for my current, serious problem: If I boot my computer with that
"stolen" monitor connected, it crashes just ater gdm starts. I'm suspecting
this to mean that something within the X world is badly configured with respect
to this monitor, and that that may have been caused by the fact that I'd first
started gdm without having it connected. I'm searching for a solution, but am
also hoping that someone who knows a lot more about X than I do can give me
some hints. For now, I either have to switch back to no graphical environment
or discnnect the monitor, boot the system, wait for a while, and finally
reconnect the monitor again. Neither of these alternatives is very nice. :-(

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |