[BRLTTY] Starting Orca on Fedora.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jun 3 14:22:02 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Dave Mielke on 2018/06/02 at 22:15 -0400]

>Now for something that I hope can be fixed. I normally don't have a monitor
>connected. What I've discovered is that, when gdm is enabled, login (getty)
>prompts on other ttys are blocked until gdm is up, and gdm waits for a monitor
>to be connecgted. In other words, with gdm enabled and with no minitor
>connected (my usual case), I can't log in anymore even on another tty. My
>personal opinion is that getty instances shouldn't depend on the idiosyncracies
>of the urrent system default target and whatever its dependencies happen to be.

Thanks to investigative help by Mark (our oldest son), progress has been made
on this one. The quick answer is to add plymouth.enable=0 to the kernel command
line. The long answer is:

gdm.service specifies Conflicts=plymouth-quit.service because, according to the
comment that immediately precedes that statement, gdm explicitly tells plymouth
to quit so it's cancelling the generic service that does so. It seems, though,
that gdm tells plymouth to quit after it has detected a monitor. So, until a
monitor is connected, plymouth still owns the console and nothing else can use
it.

Jaroslav: Is this something that Fedora might consider "fixing"? If a sighted
person wants to do a text login on a different tty then, of course, he/she
would connect a monitor. This, however, isn't necessary, and isn't even
obvious, to a braille user.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |