[BRLTTY] Using Brltty for Android without speech - issue resolved!

Siena Trigiani siena.trigiani at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 04:20:28 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Many thanks to Dave and all for your help! I was able to pair the
BraillePen 12 Touch to my Android tablet (RCA Viking Pro) using the Voyager
drivers, and the display connects right away upon pairing. I was also able
to find the documentation pertaining to the key bindings for the
BraillePen! The more I use Brltty, the more I enjoy using it!

As the subject states, I've found a way to get Brltty and TalkBack to work
together without speech output. This is proving to be extremely useful
especially when I'm in a meeting and need to take notes. ! Anyway, I found
a free app in the Play Store called Mop's Null TTS, which is essentially a
silent text-to-speech engine. So now I can work with Braille output only,
all while being able to make use of TalkBack's Explore by Touch feature for
easier reading and navigation! Now, I can read everything on the screen
without any issues! One thing to remember if you are going to use Mop's
Null TTS is that your Braille display needs to be connected to Brltty on
your device before you switch to this TTS.
I hope that this will be of assistance to anyone else on the list who may
have the same enquiry.

Take care, and have a wonderful weekend! :)

Kind regards,

Siena.