[BRLTTY] Changing BRLTTY key mapping [repost]

Vincent LE GOFF vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:58:50 EST 2018

Thank you Dave.

I believe that the ht (HandyTech) driver is pretty much centralized on
BRLTTY.  Meaning that most displays of this brand will have the same
features except for slight modifications.  I am using the Actilino (alo)
and have been testing the ActiveBraille (ab40).  As it is, it sounds
like the default mapping is not correct for either of these devices.  By
"correct", I mean that when using them in standalone mode (as Braille
notetakers) or plugged to a screen reader on Windows, simple mapping
(for navigation, for instance) is different.  However, by altering the
problematic files, it would also affect a lot of other handytech
displays for which the mapping might be more accurate, I have no idea.

For instance, to go to the next Braille window (which is something one
does very often, admittedly), the default key mapping is "Right Triple
Action Key center (TRC)".  On other devices, it might be one key, but on
the Actilino and ActiveBraille, that's two keys you have to press
simultaneously. So only moving the Braille window requires two key
presses (fortunately, they are close).  In standalone (which should be
the reference, I imagine), only Right Triple Action Key down (TRD) or
Left Triple Action Key down (TLD) are necessary (either, not both at the
same time).  The Adctilino and ActiveBraille have four navigation keys,
two on either side of the display.  This is quite common for other
displays as well.  So the Triple Action Key Center requires the press of
Triple Action Key Up + Triple Action Key Down.  And that's not really great.

But I insist: I have no idea how the other devices behave, so I prefer
to make my modification just for my BRLTTY installation. Other handytech
users might be well-used to the current setup and unwilling to shift,
which I completely understand.

Thank you again,

Vincent