[BRLTTY] Changing BRLTTY key mapping [repost]

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Mar 9 07:12:15 EST 2018

[quoted lines by Vincent LE GOFF on 2018/03/09 at 12:58 +0100]

>I am using the Actilino (alo) and have been testing the ActiveBraille (ab40).
>As it is, it sounds like the default mapping is not correct for either of
>these devices.  By "correct", I mean that when using them in standalone mode
>(as Braille notetakers) or plugged to a screen reader on Windows, simple
>mapping (for navigation, for instance) is different.

HandyTech support has been in brltty for a very long time. A lot of us lack
experience with Windows screen readers, and I doubt the earlier HT models could
function as notetakers. In other words, brltty's HT bindings may have been
developed without much of an existing template to go by.

>However, by altering the problematic files, it would also affect a lot of
>other handytech displays for which the mapping might be more accurate, I have
>no idea.

Neither do I. Mario would be the best person to discuss this with. I'd hesitate
to make any changes to the HT bindings without his advice.

>For instance, to go to the next Braille window (which is something
>one does very often, admittedly), the default key mapping is "Right
>Triple Action Key center (TRC)".  On other devices, it might be one
>key, but on the Actilino and ActiveBraille, that's two keys you have
>to press simultaneously. So only moving the Braille window requires
>two key presses (fortunately, they are close).

They really did used to be triple action keys. On older models you just had to
press the center of what was an actual rocker.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |