[BRLTTY] Changing BRLTTY key mapping [repost]

Vincent LE GOFF vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 03:27:52 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comment Shérab.  I changed my key bindings yesterday and
it was so easy I was almost (almost!) disappointed when it worked so
well.  My new mapping just focuses on rockers, although I may be
altering some others (the fact that the Braille keyboard is turned off
by default and requires additional keys is a bit strange, but I don't
use the Braille keyboard that often anyway).

I've remapped as follows, it made more sense to me: top left rocker =
LNUP (line up), bottom left rocker = LNDN (line down), top right rocker
= FWINLT (previous Braille window), bottom right rocker = FWINRT (next
Braille window).  In addition, I have changed some key combinations, so
going to the top/bottom of the screen, going at the cursor position, or
going at the beginning of a line (that's things I often do on a daily
basis) are more intuitive to me.  I can attach the rockers.kti file if
you want, but really, it's so simple to change these keys, just place
the altered /input/ht/rockers.kti in /etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti and
change whatever you want in the latter.

Thanks Dave for describing the process.  I'll be trying to find th list
of commands to which I can remap because I didn't find the list itself,
but I believe it's in the manual.

Vincent