[BRLTTY] can u bail me out again?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Mar 23 12:05:37 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/03/23 at 09:42 -0500]

>I untarred 5.6 in /usr/local/brltty56 then did the four steps:
>autogen, config, make, make install, and all went well.

What options did you give configure? If you didn't give it any then you may
have overwritten your installed 5.3.1.

You need to untar and build brltty somewhere else. Don't untar and build it in
its intended install directory. When configuring, use --prefix= to specify the
directory that you'd like to install it into.

You can't directly run brltty from within its build tree. To do that, you need
to use the run-brltty wrapper script that's in the top-level directory of the
build tree.

It doesn't mater which user you are when building, and even when installing,
brltty. What matters is that you run it as root.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |