[BRLTTY] Contracted Braille

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Nov 3 14:54:11 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by wmichaelb at fuse.net on 2018/11/03 at 13:32 -0400]

>what he needs is English contracted braille with capital letters and no
>additional flashing dots. In his DOS system, he can access that setting by
>pushing concave + convex, but those buttons don't seem to respond in brltty.

There's no guarantee that any given DOS screen reader key combination will act
identically to how brltty interprets it. If we were to further harmonize key
combinations these days then I'd prefer to do so with respect to commoly used,
modern-day, Windows screen readers.

>I've read the documentation about contraction files and text files, but still
>haven't been able to put this together. What config settings are needed to
>give English contracted braille with capital letters

You need to do two things:

The first is to speciofy the desired contraction table either via the -c
command line option or via the contraction-table brltty.conf directive. If, for
example, your friend would like to use US Grade 2 braille, then the contraction
table would be en-us-g2. So:

*  On the command line: -c en-us-g2
*  In brltty.conf: contraction-table en-us-g2

The second is to turn six-dot mode on. For the Power Braille, the TSI driver's
pb.kti file contains the following definition:

   bind Bar1+Bar2+LeftRockerDown SIXDOTS

If six-dot mode is off then you always get eight-dot computer braille as
defined by the currently selected text table (-t or text-table). If six-dot
mode is on then there are two possibilities. If a contraction table is defined
(-c or contraction-table) then it's used - if one isn't then the computer
braille text table is used but dots 7 and 8 are cleared.

>and no additional flashing characters

Which characters are "flashing"?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |