[BRLTTY] brltty on Debian 9.4 and Contracted Braille

wmichaelb at fuse.net wmichaelb at fuse.net
Sun Nov 4 19:42:24 EST 2018

Per
You need to do two things:

The first is to speciofy the desired contraction table either via the -c
command line option or via the contraction-table brltty.conf directive. If, for
example, your friend would like to use US Grade 2 braille, then the contraction
table would be en-us-g2. So:

* On the command line: -c en-us-g2
* In brltty.conf: contraction-table en-us-g2

The second is to turn six-dot mode on. For the Power Braille, the TSI driver's
pb.kti file contains the following definition:

bind Bar1+Bar2+LeftRockerDown SIXDOTS

If six-dot mode is off then you always get eight-dot computer braille as
defined by the currently selected text table (-t or text-table). If six-dot
mode is on then there are two possibilities. If a contraction table is defined
(-c or contraction-table) then it's used - if one isn't then the computer
braille text table is used but dots 7 and 8 are cleared.

>and no additional flashing characters

Which characters are "flashing"?

I did edit the brltty.conf file with
contraction-table en-us-g2

I also added a text table, but neither of these helped.
I will try the above key sequence to turn on six-dot braille.

The extra flashing characters are colons and dots for two.