[BRLTTY] Trying to Read 132 Column Display from 80 Column Braille Reader

wmichaelb at fuse.net wmichaelb at fuse.net
Wed Nov 28 09:56:51 EST 2018

Dave: thanks for your prompt response. When I go to /var/lib/brltty,
I find no brltty.prefs nor any file at all. The "locate" command also fails
to find this file. We opened the preferences menu with button 3 + button 4,
but the default on exit is not to save the preferences file to create one, and
we couldn't figure out how to change the "no" to "yes", nor could I find
a way to do this in the documentation. If I type "prefmenu" from the prompt,
I get an error message that says there is no such command. Is there a way to
generate a preferences menu file via a script, or ?? Thanks again for all
your help.

Re: [quoted lines by wmichaelb at fuse.net on 2018/11/15 at 12:33 -0500]

>even with only 80 columns displayed by tty, he still misses the first few
>letters on the left of a line. The behavior starts after he logs into his unix
>shell account and selects either Pine or Lynx, or changes from one to the
>other. Pushing button 3 gives him all the letters on the left, and therefore
>all the letters in one line since the display is set to 80 columns. Is there a
>way to set the default location to the left braille window?

It sounds like the cursor may be starting out quite a way to the right and one
of the sliding window preferences is set. Can you please post (an attachment
will be fine) the file /var/lib/brltty/brltty.prefs?