[BRLTTY] Trying to Read 132 Column Display from 80 Column Braille Reader

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 29 00:31:25 EST 2018

[quoted lines by wmichaelb at fuse.net on 2018/11/28 at 09:56 -0500]

>When I go to /var/lib/brltty, I find no brltty.prefs nor any file at all.

That means that the preferences haven't been saved yet, which means that the
defaults are being used when brltty starts. Of course, if key combinations are
used to change any settings then those chagnes will be in effect.

>We opened the preferences menu with button 3 + button 4,

The documentation says that that presents the status display. It says that
Bar1+Bar2 goes to the preferences menu.

>but the default on exit is not to save the preferences file to create one, and
>we couldn't figure out how to change the "no" to "yes", nor could I find a way
>to do this in the documentation.

Do you know how to look up the bindings online? Go to brltty.app, Select
Documentation, and then Key Binding Lists. Go to Braille Device Bindings, and
then find Power Braille 80 within the TSI section.

In the (second) Menu Operations section, you'll see that Concave changes a
preference to its next choice, and that Convex changes it to its previous
choice. Y0u'll also see, in the (first) Menu Operations section that
Bar1+Bar2+Concave can be used to save the preferences at any time (i.e. when
not in the menu).

I hadn't noticed, till now, that there are two sections with the same name.
Time for a fix. The second one will be renamed to Menu Bindings.

>If I type "prefmenu" from the prompt, I get an error message that says there
>is no such command.

There isn't any such command.

>Is there a way to generate a preferences menu file via a script

No, there isn't. I'm assuming, though, that the default settings are being
used.

I myself do use an 80-cell display and am not experiencing the problem you're
describing. Which release of brltty is being used?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |