[BRLTTY] installing brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 30 04:35:55 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Ivan pivac on 2019/01/30 at 20:46 +1300]

>I have a Humanware BrailleConnect 40 which I have used with brltty in the
>past.  I am running NVDA which did have a BrailleConnect option but now just
>has a generic Humanware option.

A HumanWare driver, be it NVDA's or BRLTTY's, won't work. The BrailleConnect
models use the Baum protocol.

>I have selected the automatic option under the Braille setting and it has
>appeared to be installed okay.  However, the braille display is still not
>running.

I can't speak for NVDA - maybe someone else on this list can - but telling NVDA
to use BRLTTY, and then telling BRLTTY to use its Baum driver should work.

>I have run the Baum USB driver but I receive the error message that
>it cannot be installed.  This is strange as it always did in the past.

I'm not a Windows person so I'm only going to venture one guess. Is it possible
that it installed when you were using a 32-bit Windows system but you're now
using a 64-bit Windows system? I suppose another possibility might be that you
already have an installed driver that's claiming the same USB vendor and
product identifiers. Maybe someone else on this list knows Windows better.

>I also downloaded the brltty Windows driver but it too won't install.

It'd be helpful if you could post actual error messages as guesising is
unreliable and error prone.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |