[BRLTTY] focussing difference when using TalkBack with- and without brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 14 14:51:31 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2020/08/12 at 20:55 +0200]

>I'm not sure if I brought this one up before, if so, I apologize.

No need to apologize. As others will confirm, sometimes I've forgotten things.
In this case, however, I'm sure this is the first time. Regardless, I'd rather
people err on the side of saying somethign twice then not saying it at all.

>TalkBack has some form of smart focusing, which means that if you visit a
>screen you visited recently, focus will return to the place where it was
>when you last visited the screen.

can you give me an example that I might be able to relatively easily reproduce?

Other than at strtup, there's only one place where brltty alters the focus.
Whenever it receives a window state changed event, it does the following:

If the node associated with the event already has accessibility focus then
brltty focuses to it. If it doesn't but a subnode of it does have accessibility
focus then brltty focuses to that subnode.

If neither the node or any of its subnodes has accessibility focus then brltty
looks for a subnode that has actual text, and if that can't be found then it
looks for a subnode with descriptive text. If such a subnode can be found then
brltty sets accessibility focus to that subnode and focuses to it. Note that
this latter case is the only time that brltty actually alters accessibility
focus.

The only case I can think of where this might not do the expected thing is if a
window state changed event reports a node that isn't the root of the structure
where accessibility focus is. I suppose this could happen.

I can change the above-described rules, but I'd only like to do so if I can be
sure that it's the right thing to do. If it's not that easy to give me an
easily reproduceable example, perhaps I could send you a test apk.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |