[BRLTTY] Android: getting to the more optons menu in PureWriter with brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 22 18:02:21 EST 2020

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2020/01/08 at 21:40 +0100]

>There is a text editor called purewriter which seems reasonably accessible,
>at least with TalkBack.

I've now installed it.

>With BrlTTY something strange happens when trying to access the More Options
>menu at the right top of the screen.
>When activating this menu, the cursor stays in the text area, so you cannot
>navigate this menu using brltty.
>When you navigate the menu with TalkBack's swipe gestures, the options are
>spoken, very briefly displayed on the braille display, after which brltty
>immediately returns to the text cursor.
>
>If I touch a menu item using one finger, the item is shown on the braille
>display as long as I leave my finger there. When I lift it, brltty returns
>to the text focus.

An Android screen consists of a number of what are called "windows". It has the
concept of which window is currently active. The highest priority is the window
that's currently being touched. If a window isn't being touched then the window
which currently has input focus is deemed to be active. It seems that
purewriter is leaving the input focus on its editing area, and that's what's
keeping brltty from moving over to the options list when you aren't touching
it.

It seems that TalkBack is now maintaining the concept of staying on the last
window that was touched. We need to figure out the best way to do that from a
braille device, i.e. without having to touch the screen. I have some ideas, but
am also curious if you have any thoughts on how to do it.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |