[BRLTTY] Configuring Handytech Braillestar 80

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 15:36:54 EDT 2020

Hi

Mario Lang schrieb am 17.03.2020, 14:50 +0100:
>Sebastian Humenda <shumenda at gmx.de> writes:
>> I have a Handytech Braillestar 80 that has eight keys at a place where they
>> are not useful at all and are often pressed by accident. I would like to
>> disable them but am unsure which key names to look for. In the general braille
>> key help, I see a note on the special numpad keyboard that this display has
>> but no explanation of the front keys. Further down in the help, I see
>> "braille keyboard dot<NUM>" and there I see that e.g. dot8 is mapped to b8
>> which corresponds to the help screen.
>
>You are looking for
>
>B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, SpaceLeft and SpaceRight

But wouldn't this also disable the keypad keys?

> >> What is the easiest way to let BRLTTY ignore "braille keyboard
>> dot1-8"?
>
>If this is the only HandyTech Braille Star model that you are using,

In fact, no :). Rarely, I have access to a second one, though it wouldn't be a
problem if the keys were disabled.

>the easiest way is probably to comment out the following
>lines from /etc/brltty/Input/ht/bs.kti:

Is there an "unbind" option? Then I could probably put in a few commands in
/etc/xdg/brltty, but I am not sure how to do this.

>However, as you perhaps noticed, there are a number of useful
>combinations amongst those bindings.  I am not sure if you just want to
>disable the single key combinations related to braille keys, or really
[…]

Thanks for listing these. I only need to disable the single-press versions and
only those at the front of the display. The latest revision is not designed
ergonomically enough so that I press the keys regularly while typing.

Thanks
Sebastian