[BRLTTY] Math symbols in brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 15 18:21:16 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by Tom Masterson on 2020/09/15 at 14:33 -0700]

>They are not mistypings technically.  They are just using characters in the
>over 128 set though I don't know specifically which ones.  The text was given
>to me from a web page that may have been using mathtml or something similar.

Maybe you mean the official less than or equal to character. When you say a
left arrow with an underline then I, perhaps wrongly, think of a different
character that looks visually the same so is often used by mistake.

Anyway, the answer is yes, those characters can be defined. The probem is that
there's no standard computer braille representation for those characters so
they'd probably need to be defiend separately for each language.

In the en_CA table, which I use, I defiend all three of those (less than or
equal to, greater than or equal to, and not equal to) by adding dot 7 to their
corresponding six-dot representations.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |