[BRLTTY] Latest humanware/APH devices and brltty on Android

henk.abma at gmail.com henk.abma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:37:13 EDT 2021

Hello Dave,
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: BRLTTY <brltty-bounces at brltty.app> Namens Dave Mielke
Verzonden: donderdag 4 november 2021 14:57
Aan: Informal discussion between users and developers of BRLTTY.
<brltty at brltty.app>
Onderwerp: Re: [BRLTTY] Latest humanware/APH devices and brltty on Android

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2021/11/01 at 08:49 +0100]

I f9nally got ahold of a USB-C to USB-C cable so have been able to work on
this. Please give the latest sideload version a try. If it works for you
then I'll publish the change to Google Play.

It works great!
As soon as I enabled brltty again, the authorization dialogue popped up
asking if I wanted to open brltty every time the Mantis was connected. I
checked the box, pressed OK and had a fully functional Mantis.

Also unplugged and reconnected several times without a problem.

I'm really impressed by how you can solve an issue so quickly!

Do you happen to know from which Android version this HID support is
supposed to work? I mean, should it also work on Android 8 for example?

With a Micro-B OTG cable, you can force the device into host mode. It seems,
however, that USB-C, on its own, isn't willing to do that. So, until I
figure out a better way, the permission granting dialog now comes up when
you click Done on the Add Device screen.

I think with the latest focus on security in Android, the current solution
is perfect.

With kind regards,

Henk.