[BRLTTY] [OT] Braille displays with firmware support for Unicode

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Wed Nov 10 05:31:46 EST 2021

Dear list,

I am looking for a new braille display and I'd like to ask your guidance, as
you probably have the best information available.

I would like to have a display, which has an integrated text viewer/editor.
However, I am accutomed to use a non-standard braille table and find reading
with the standard Finnish table to be inconvenient. I also am using a custom
braille music notation format, which deploys 8-dot computer braille. To be
able to read my music, I would need to have a display which supports Unicode
braille.

I would like to hear from you, is there any display on the market, which

1) has an SD card slot for transfering files

2) supports Unicode braille in text files in its firmware text viewer

3) supports editing Unicode braille in text files (i.e. typing Unicode braille
patterns instead of regular text)

4) allows customizing the braille table used to display text in the firmware
applications.

I have taken a look at Focus Blue V, Active braille 2021 and Brailliant BI
X40. I could not find an up to date manual for Active braille 2021, so I
cannot know about that. The others at least do not support custom braille
tables or Unicode braille editing, but I don't know about viewing Unicode braille.

If there are no devices that support these features, I would like to know, if
there are other people who would be interested. We could possible make a group
request for these features and send it to braille display makers.

--
Aura