[BRLTTY] Using BRLTTY on a Chromebook from a Linux container

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 24 16:16:32 EST 2021

[quoted lines by Devin Prater on 2021/11/24 at 10:27 -0600]

>has anyone had experience using BRLTTY on a Chromebook with the
>Crostini Linux container?

What, exactly, is crostini?

>I tried plugging in the Braille display (NLS EReader from Humanware)

Using USB or Bluetooth? I ask because the version of brltty that's currently on chrome OS is 6.4 (or maybe still something earlier on yours) which doesn't yet support that device via Bluetooth. USB will work, but Bluetooth support is, as yet, still only in the development stream. It will be in 6.5.

>and running BRLTTY, but nothing happened, even when
>turning off ChromeVox. This may not be possible, but I'm trying to get as
>much out of the Chromebook as possible, as my main laptop running Windows
>is too slow to be productive these days.

The main problem is that Chrome OS doesn't use Linux's /dev/vcs* devices. It has its own, non-kernel, way to manage the screen content. A new screen driver, therefore, would need to be written.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |