[BRLTTY] Windows, Can't run Brlapi-0.8.3.win32.exe even though I've installed Python 3.1 64-bit and 3.8 32-bit

shawn klein kb7clx at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 18:24:31 EDT 2021

Hi Samuel, I first tried brltty-win-6.4-0-libusb-1.0.exe, then brltty-win-6.4-0-libusb-1.0.zip. I can’t find the driver for the NLS Ereader anywhere, which is why I tried BRLTTY in the first place, as it lists the NLS Ereader in it’s list of supported braille displays. I’m beginning to think it wasn’t the right choice at all.
When I try to install brltty-libusb-1.0.inf
I get: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
I tried the following instructions to fix that, but it didn’t work:
1. Launch an elevated CMD prompt (run as Admin)
2. Type in:
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
and press the ENTER key
3. Type in:
bcdedit /set testsigning on
and press the ENTER key
4. Try the install again
I didn’t even get feedback from command prompt as I used to do. I think I’m just going to have to wait a year or 2 until more people start using the NLS Ereader, maybe NVDA will get around to supporting it natively. It works well with the IPhone, but just isn’t really supported with NVDA without a lot of headache.
Thanks for all your help, but I think this wasn’t a good option. The NLS Ereader is just too new, and I’m not really getting support for it from the users nor from the NVDA community. The driver is impossible to find, and your driver gets flagged by Windows so I’m blocked from installing it, as drivers from small companies and developers tend to do.
The Ereader doesn’t run a serial com port service for Bluetooth, so it’s not possible to designate a com port number for it in Windows.
Shawn Klein
Sent from Mail for Windows