[BRLTTY] Accessible IP phones?

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Dec 5 02:23:16 EST 2005

Has anyone here had experience with the accessibility of VoIP phones used with
Linux and Asterisk? Specifically, some phones can apparently be configured by
a text configuration file which is then uploaded to the phone. This should (in
theory) enable them to be configured independently without having to see the
visual display.

As an aside, I have a radio which can be configured completely over a serial
port. There is even Linux software that can be run from the console which
supports the protocol. In practice, I haven't used it much as I find I can
press the right buttons on the radio, which also has a speech synthesizer
which announces the frequency to which the radio is tuned. For the curious,
it's an Icom IC-r 8500 receiver. Some other radio manufacturers also support
serial configuration, for example AOR (their radios reportedly use text-based
commands). Obviously, the purpose from the manufacturer's point of view is to
allow the channel memory and other settings to be manipulated entirely by
software running on a desktop computer.