[BRLTTY] FreedomBox and braille

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jul 28 11:07:58 EDT 2005

Matt Campbell, le Thu 28 Jul 2005 09:58:21 -0500, a écrit :
> Does BRLTTY offer anything that would help me test braille support
> without having a braille display?

Yes: the TTY driver for text mode, and the XWindow driver for X or
Windows.

> Does BRLTTY for Windows require Cygwin?

For now, yes. But you don't absolutely need to install cygwin: I can
build you a brltty.exe and provide cygwin1.dll, it will be enough for
brltty to run.

In the future, MSYS should be sufficient, but there are still some
small issues with it.

> Do any newer braille displays support automatic detection, or will the
> user always need to choose a display from the list and specify the
> serial port to which the display is connected?

Serial port braille devices are not quite safe to detect. On the
contrary, usb devices are fine.

I guess libusb works under windows ? Then usb should work on windows
too.

Regards,
Samuel