[BRLTTY] FreedomBox and braille

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jul 28 11:16:25 EDT 2005

Hi Matt,

> First of all, I don't have a braille display, so unless I can get one, I
> suppose that's going to make development more difficult.  Does BRLTTY
> offer anything that would help me test braille support without having a
> braille display?

Yes. There is a braille driver which displays what should appear on the
braille display in an X window and let you press keys in this windows.
There is also a curses-based driver.
Finally, there is the Virtual braille driver which lets you do the same
thanks to a client-server based mechanism, that is, you have to use
telnet or something like that to play with it.

> As for Windows, the two possible back-ends I'm considering are BRLTTY
> and libbraille.

Unfortunately, none of these two will lead to an easy integration with
proprietary screen readers.
The advantage of BrlAPI, though, is that if one day commercial screen
readers decide to use it, concurrency management will be possible, i.e.
the braille terminal will be usable by several applications at the same
time, which is not yet possible with libbraille.

Sébastien.