[BRLTTY] brltty and Festival Lite

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Apr 23 23:44:03 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2006/04/21 at 17:02 +0200]

>1. Can I configure the speech to read punctuation and special characters?

Not at the moment, although that functionality could certainly be added. I
don't personally use speech, so I can only guess at what might be useful. I'd
appreciate it if people who do use speech could develop a list of features
which they'd like to see.

>2. Is it possible to run braille and speech from startup? Remember, I use a live-CD, and the startup command looks like this:
>brltty=bm,/dev/ttyS0,text.de.tbl
>Adding a "fl" prevents the braille display from starting.

We could add the speech driver code as the fourth parameter, e.g.:

   brltty=bm,ttyS0,de,fl

Do you know how to update brltty on your system so that we can test it?

>3. Can I manually restart brltty? The command:
>brltty -s fl
>in order to add speech seems to start a second copy of the software so that the display gets stuck.

No, there's no single command to restart brltty with a different set of
options.