[BRLTTY] Refreshing problems?

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Nov 14 21:44:38 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Mark L. Melonson wrote:

> I am using a Brailliant 80 and notice problems when I either type to fast,
> backspace a lot or sometimes while using the on-display navigations. I
> will lose some dots and some cells entirely. This gets extremely
> frustrating. The weird thing is, when the cursor is ver a missing cell, it
> will appear as normal. Is my brand new display defunct? Is this common?

This shouldn't be happening. Are you running applications directly from
the Linux console or with Gnome and Orca? If you are working from the
console, are you using the screen utility, or do you have any other screen
reading software running?

I have noticed similar effects when running BRLTTY with the Yasr screen
reader, especially if screen(1) is also controlling the terminal. I
suspect the reason is that the screen itself isn't being updated properly
and this is entirely due to the combination of yasr and/or screen.

Also, can you describe exactly what happens on the display? Are there just
errors in the text as displayed, or are there ecertain dots missing, or is
it something else?