[BRLTTY] Dimensions of braille displays

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 28 17:00:03 EST 2006

Hi Nicolas, and thanks a lot for your answer.

> The Bookworm has 8 cells.

Ok, thanks

> I saw a multi row braille display only once.  It was a prototype only
> demonstrated during a trade show.  Its refresh rate was impossibly slow
> and its price was approaching the hundred thousands dollars.  In other
> words, all practical braille displays only have had one row so far.

I have th feeling I already heard about displays having one row with
several cells, plus a vertical line (in other words a column) with only
one cell. Visually speaking (C representing a cell), the geometry
woulAbAas follows:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Anybody heard about such kind of devices ?

Also, every development I know so far assumes a refreshable display
divided in 8-dots cells. But I saw some little displays consisting of a
matrix of dots, primarily used for displaying graphics. Does anybody
know something about that ?

Thanks,
Sébastien.