[BRLTTY] Shouldn't -r be the default on Windows?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu May 10 11:23:18 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I wonder if a couple defaults should be changed for Windows:

First, I think release-device should default to yes. Anyone who can get as
far as Cygwin or a command prompt must almost by definition have a Windows
screen reader available. I don't see what defaulting release-device to off
will accomplish for anybody. There should be a way to turn it off in case
somebody's running Cygwin under Windows on a 286 <grin> where the time
consumed might be important, but for the general case I think defaulting it
on would serve most people best.

The other thing we might change: I noticed not long ago that README.Windows
suggests using the --enable-relocatable-install option during ./configure.
I've never done this, assuming if this is the Windows convention brltty
would do this automatically. If I start doing it now will it mess up the way
the subversion brltty is built? And if it's the best idea for windows,
shouldn't it be the default in the first place?

Thanks much,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>