[BRLTTY] Reading Dots 7-8 From BrlAPI

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 22 12:39:06 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Rob Meredith on 2008/08/22 at 12:10 -0400]

>This patch worked! I get expected dot arguments (0x40 for dot 7, 0x80 for dot
>8) when I press the previously unrecognized keys.

Just to confirm ... it's the second patch that works?

Can you tell me which code you're using? 3.10? The development stream?

>Now, the next problem...
>
>The Connect 24 has no space bar. That is why people are using the keys left
>and right of the joystick for space bars. As you probably remember, the
>Connect 12 has a key between dots 1 and 4 at the top of the face which I
>believe you are using for space. There is no such key (called B11) on the
>Connect 24. So, if we support dots 7-8 on the Connect 24, how can we
>distinguish between these dots and a space?

We could take a different approach with the 12, i.e. to use B9-B0 as modifiers,
e.g. shift and control, rather than as dots 7-8. Then, pressing both of them
together could be space. How awkward would that be (particularly pressing both
together for space) on the 24?