[BRLTTY] So key tables will have to remain off by default?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Feb 5 23:51:13 EST 2009

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> What you say is all true. The counter argument, which Mario is raising, is
> how much do we really trust this brand new piece of code. What makes this
> code special is that it intercepts every single keyboard event which means
> that the user will be in really serious trouble should there be some subtle
> bug in it that just hasn't been discovered yet.

Exactly. I would suggest taking the cautious approach of leaving it turned off
unless the user decides to invoke it. After all, for most braille displays,
BRLTTY functions perfectly well without taking over keys on the keyboard, and
the consequences of its not working correctly could be very unpleasant for the
user, as in, I can't use the keyboard at all.

As an aside, what happens if BRLTTY segfaults or is killed while this is
active?