[BRLTTY] building brlapi for Android (ARM processor)

Shiri Azenkot shiri.azenkot at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:47:02 EDT 2010

Hi Dave,

Not quite as simple for me. I got a Java exception when doing the make.

 What version of the jdk do you have? You need JDK 5.0; java 6 is not
supported.

It
> looked like the toolchain was already built by then, though, so I
> proceeded.

Yes, the toolchain is prebuilt, but you'll need to build the bionic libc.
This is a modified libc for Android. I just built the whole source tree
since there were no instructions on how to built only bionic.

>  the ld command in the toolchain is complaining that it
> can't find crt0.o.

 Yes, I got this error at some point too. crt0.o is part of the C standard
libraries, so after you build bionic and include them properly in the build
this should hopefully go away.

> Which version of the arm-eabi toolchain did you use? I'm using 4.4.0 at the
> moment, but would prefer to be sure I'm using the same one you are.
>
> Ah, thanks for bringing this up. I realized the my script was using 4.2.1
tools. I changed it so now it uses the 4.4.0 tools. I'm getting the same
error, but at least now we're using the correct version.

> Please do as that'd save me some time.
>
> I posted the script here:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/shiri/brltty/printcflags

It prints the cflags for building libraries with bionic and the Android
prebuilt toolchain. It includes a bunch of paths from the Android source
including the bionic libraries. When trying to build brltty, I executed the
following command:

$ CFLAGS=`./printcflags` ./configure --host arm-eabi

Hope this helps. Let me know what happens!

Shiri