[BRLTTY] Contraction errors and patch: Shire

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 11:07:19 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

First I'll give a list of the words this patch claims to fix. Then for
those masochistic enough to read it, the gory details of how all this
happened:

dishabille (corrected spelling in comment)
Dumfriesshire
newshound
Kinrossshire
Merionethshire
Peeblesshire
Renfrewshire
undisheartened (an out-and-out error in the dot list)

So, how'd all this come to pass? I came across the (possibly non-word,
possibly sexist) newshen, meaning an aggressive female news
reporter. I was about to pass it by as a probable non-word when I
noticed that newshound was also mishandled. So I put in a rule for
"ewsh" in the middle of a word. But that broke Renfrewshire. Then I
noticed that Kinrossshire ran afoul of the rule for ssh, so I started
scanning my word list for all the shire words.

Since it's Sunday morning I feel kind of like--was it Da Vinci? He was
in church and instead of paying attention to the service he was
staring up at the ceiling. He noticed a lamp swinging back and forth,
which gave him the idea for the pendulum. Well, I'm not in church but
I noticed all the busted shire words. I doubt that future generations
will honor me though... :-)

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll