[BRLTTY] Documents/README.Bluetooth: what do I do with it?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Sep 4 00:19:08 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/09/02 at 14:48 -0400]

>Doubtless this is a really dumb question but I want to make sure of my
>understanding:

No question asked in sincerity is dumb, and neither a lack of understanding nor
the desire for increased udnerstanding is a fault.

>README.Bluetooth tells me the command (hciconfig hci0) to find my
>host's bluetooth address. It then tells me to go into
>/var/lib/bluetooth/<thataddress> and look at the file pincodes. It
>then gives a sample of a possible pincodes file. I understand that I
>take the first field of one of these lines and use brltty's -d command
>to point brltty to the device. Using the sample pincodes file it would
>be:
>
>brltty -b<whatever> -d12:34:56:78:9A:BC

Not quite. -dbluetooth:12:34:56:78:9A:BC

>I take it I just ignore the pin? Or, if I have set my device's pin
>will it show up in pincodes so I'll know which address to use for the
>-d command?

The pincodes file isn't maintained by the system - it's maintained by you. It's
where you associate your devices' Bluetooth device addresses with their PINs.
If the system doesn't know the PIN then it tries to look it up in the pincodes
file.

>Will the device have the same Bluetooth address every time the computer
>starts?

Your device will always have the same Bluetooth device address. That's the
simplistic answer, anyway. The accurate answer is that a Bluetooth device
address is like an ethernet mac address. In other words, it's associated with
the Bluetooth hardware in the device. If that hardware ever fails and is
replaced then the Bluetooth device address will change to the one associated
with the new hardware.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.