[BRLTTY] brl_identify()

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Feb 18 22:57:17 EST 2012

[quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/02/17 at 22:20 +0100]

>My question is whether this documentation for writting drivers is up to date
><http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Manual-BrlAPI/English/BrlAPI-6.html>

No, it isn't.

>I see that it sugests I include a function brl_identify() in braille.c
>However, in none of the existing drivers included with brltty is this function
>ever defined.

That driver method was eliminated quite some time ago.

>So now I'm not sure, if I should trust the example of the documentation or of
>the code.

Go with the code. My recommendation is that you look at a driver which uses
brltty's new generic I/O functions. You can identify those by looking for an
include of "io_generic.h". Before these functions were written, each driver had
to know (albeit at a high level) how to use serial, USB, and/or Bluetooth, as
needed, separately. The generic I/O functions, therefore, simplify the driver's
I/O a whole lot.

You should also look for a driver which uses key tables. Key tables are a way
to bind keys and key combinations on the device to brltty functions in an
external text file which can be easily edited. Drivers originally had
hard-coded bindings. Several of the older drivers haven't been converted to use
key tables yet. Look for BEGIN_KEY_NAME_TABLE.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html