[BRLTTY] Using the keypad for the cut functions; was: I'm still unable to use the cut buffer from an Alva

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Mon May 21 17:24:55 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm not very happy with these results. I turned RepeatKeys off in the
Alva and things do seem to work, kind of. But I want repeated keys and
I want them whether I'm online or offline. This means that brltty's
repeat functions don't suffice because they have no effect when I'm
offline. I also had to increase cursor routing 2 delay to 1000. So
basically I'd like to turn my back on using the Alva for the cut
buffer.

What I'd like to do is use the keypad. But the keypad cut buffer
functions require the cursor to move which is not always possible.

It seems much more intuitive to me to have the Cut functions, the
start a new buffer and append to buffer, start at the current left
margin of the braille display. The rectangular and linear cut
functions should end at the current right margin of the display. This
means that when I paste, presumably to somewhere that I _can_ move the
cursor, I can then edit out excess characters easily. This has the
advantage that it's consistent regardless of the braille display being
used.

What do people think?

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll