[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and Screen, and word wrap

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Sep 12 23:38:19 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Rob Hudson on 2012/09/12 at 16:23 -0500]

>I figured out what the problem was. I didn't have "save on exit" checked when
>exiting the BRLTTy preferences menu.

Even that wouldn't cause you to lose your settings when switching to another
screen window. The "Save on Exit" feature means that your current settings will
be automatically saved to disk when you leave the preferences menu. This means
that you won't lose them if you restart brltty.

>I'm a bit confused on what BRLTTY means when it needs a screen
>driver. is this the equivalent of something like Jaws's video
>intercept?

I don't use Windows, so I'm not very familiar with JAWS. In particular, I don't
know what a JAWS Video Intercept is.

Insofar as brltty is concerned, it runs on many platforms. Each platform has
its own way of reading what's on the screen, supporting virtual keyboard input,
etc. Linux does it one way, Windows does it another way, DOS does it yet
another way, etc. In brltty, therefore, these concepts are abstracted into what
we refer to as a screen driver.

It gets a little confusing, of course, when we refer to the screen screen
driver. Brltty has a screen driver called screen which knows how to read
windows maintained by the screen program. This is what's often used on
Unix-type platforms for which brltty doesn't have a native screen driver yet.

>Is there a way to set it up so that when you hit the line down key in, say,
>nano or man page viewer, the screen scrolls too?

Do you mean to scroll the screen rather than to move the cursor, so that, for
example, the cursor will always stay on the middle line of the screen?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html