[BRLTTY] Vendor cooperation (was Re: Hid Usb Handytech)

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Apr 22 06:38:21 EDT 2013

Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:

> Manufacturers are still not writing their drivers themselves.

There may be several reasons for this. Perhaps some of them just want to
off-load the work. Perhaps some take the view that there aren't enough BRLTTY
users to justify the investment. Of course, nobody knows how many users there
are. Android can be expected to multiply the number of potential users, as
it's installed in millions of devices at this point and can be expected to
grow.

The positive aspect of all this is that most hardware manufacturers willingly
provide specs, which we all hope they will continue to do.
> This is something the BRLTTY Team cares about in a sort of manual
> fashion.  Some manufacturers let us know about new models in advance,
> some just wait until we notice and ask for specs.

It would be great if some manufacturers in the latter category would move into
the former category.

In general, BRLTTY is one of the best free software/open-source projects that
I've had the pleasure of working with over the years. The software is
excellent, as is the community.