[BRLTTY] brltty for android and the focus 14

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Nov 21 08:37:22 EST 2013

yRylan Vroom <dj.sonr at gmail.com> writes:

> I got the latest android APK for BRLTTY installed, and though I get
> some braille output when I fire up the accessibility service, I have
> no way of knowing what should do what, buttons wise. I took a gander
> at the BRLTTY driver documentation and found a bunch of focuses, none
> of which were the new focus 14 blue. I did some more research and
> discovered that someone had patched BRLTTY to run with the new focus
> (without the whizzy wheels),

That would be me, somewhere around December 2012.

> but when I tried to look up the "help screen" from within BRLTTY
> settings, all I got was a message stating that help wasn't
> available.

I think this is an Android-specific deficientcy.
Dave: Is this correct?  And if so, can we get Help working in the near
future on Android?

> Can anyone help me out? I'm no programmer, but if such documentation
> doesn't in fact exist, I'd be happy to write it for inclusion into the
> next release. cheers

The documentation (key bindings) for drivers is autogenerated.
So you dont need to write it.  However, the autogeneration mechanism
needs to work on your platform of choice, which would be Android in this
case.

In the meantime, here is the list of key bindings you are supposed to
see if you invoke the Help screen:

Key Table: FreedomScientific Focus Blue

Default Bindings
go to beginning of line: LeftWheelPress
go to end of line: RightWheelPress
go to cursor: RightGdf
insert clipboard text at cursor: LeftGdf+RightGdf
go left one window: LeftAdvance
go right one window: RightAdvance
go to beginning of top line: LeftGdf+LeftAdvance
go to beginning of bottom line: LeftGdf+RightAdvance
go to top line: RightGdf+LeftAdvance
go to bottom line: RightGdf+RightAdvance
go up one line: LeftWheelUp
go down one line: LeftWheelDown
go left one window: RightWheelUp
go right one window: RightWheelDown
go up to nearest line with different content: LeftWheelPress+LeftWheelUp
go down to nearest line with different content: LeftWheelPress+LeftWheelDown
go left one character: RightWheelPress+RightWheelUp
go right one character: RightWheelPress+RightWheelDown
go up to previous command prompt: LeftAdvance+LeftWheelUp
go down to next command prompt: LeftAdvance+LeftWheelDown
go up to last line of previous paragraph: RightAdvance+LeftWheelUp
go down to first line of next paragraph: RightAdvance+LeftWheelDown
go up to nearest line with different highlighting: LeftGdf+LeftWheelUp
go down to nearest line with different highlighting: LeftGdf+LeftWheelDown
search backward for clipboard text: RightGdf+LeftWheelUp
search forward for clipboard text: RightGdf+LeftWheelDown
bring cursor to character: RoutingKey
place left end of window at character: LeftWheelPress+RoutingKey
describe character: RightWheelPress+RoutingKey
copy characters to clipboard: RoutingKey+RoutingKey
start new clipboard at character: LeftAdvance+RoutingKey
rectangular copy to character: RightAdvance+RoutingKey
append to clipboard from character: LeftGdf+RoutingKey
linear copy to character: RightGdf+RoutingKey
set skipping of blank windows on/off: Space+Dot1+Dot2
set skipping of blank windows off: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot7
set skipping of blank windows on: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot8
set cursor visibility on/off: Space+Dot1+Dot4
set cursor visibility off: Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot7
set cursor visibility on: Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot8
set display mode attributes/text: Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot5
set display mode text: Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot5+Dot7
set display mode attributes: Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot5+Dot8
set screen image frozen/unfrozen: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot4
set screen image unfrozen: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot4+Dot7
set screen image frozen: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot4+Dot8
enter/leave help display: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot5
set skipping of lines with identical content on/off: Space+Dot2+Dot4
set skipping of lines with identical content off: Space+Dot2+Dot4+Dot7
set skipping of lines with identical content on: Space+Dot2+Dot4+Dot8
enter/leave command learn mode: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3
enter/leave preferences menu: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4
restore preferences from disk: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4+Dot7
save preferences to disk: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4+Dot8
set autorepeat on/off: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot5
set autorepeat off: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot5+Dot7
set autorepeat on: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot5+Dot8
enter/leave status display: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4
set cursor tracking on/off: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4+Dot5
set cursor tracking off: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4+Dot5+Dot7
set cursor tracking on: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot4+Dot5+Dot8
set attribute underlining on/off: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot6
set attribute underlining off: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot6+Dot7
set attribute underlining on: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot6+Dot8
bring cursor to line: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot6
switch to previous virtual terminal: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot6+Dot7
switch to next virtual terminal: Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot6+Dot8
set sliding window on/off: Space+Dot2+Dot4+Dot5+Dot6
set sliding window off: Space+Dot2+Dot4+Dot5+Dot6+Dot7
set sliding window on: Space+Dot2+Dot4+Dot5+Dot6+Dot8
insert clipboard text at cursor: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot4+Dot6
restore clipboard from disk: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot4+Dot6+Dot7
save clipboard to disk: Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot4+Dot6+Dot8
set text style 6-dot: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot5
set text style 8-dot: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot6
backspace key: Space+Dot7
enter key: Space+Dot8
cursor-left key: Space+Dot3
cursor-right key: Space+Dot6
home key: Space+Dot2
end key: Space+Dot5
cursor-up key: Space+Dot1
cursor-down key: Space+Dot4
page-up key: Space+Dot2+Dot3
page-down key: Space+Dot5+Dot6
tab key: Space+Dot2+Dot3+Dot5+Dot6
insert key: Space+Dot3+Dot5
delete key: Space+Dot2+Dot5+Dot6
escape key: Space+Dot2+Dot6
backspace key: Space+LeftShift
enter key: Space+RightShift
function key: Space+RoutingKey
switch to virtual terminal: RightShift+RoutingKey
describe character: NavrowKey
go up to nearest line with less indent than character: LeftAdvance+NavrowKey
go down to nearest line with less indent than character: RightAdvance+NavrowKey
place left end of window at character: LeftGdf+NavrowKey
cursor-up key: LeftRockerUp
cursor-down key: LeftRockerDown
go up one line: RightRockerUp
go down one line: RightRockerDown
braille keyboard dot1: Dot1
braille keyboard dot2: Dot2
braille keyboard dot3: Dot3
braille keyboard dot4: Dot4
braille keyboard dot5: Dot5
braille keyboard dot6: Dot6
braille keyboard dot7: Dot7
braille keyboard dot8: Dot8
braille keyboard space: Space
braille keyboard control: LeftShift
braille keyboard meta: RightShift

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'