[BRLTTY] Queries on Navigation in Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 24 22:57:55 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Rob on 2015/08/24 at 21:00 -0500]

>I turned it off. Here's the exact steps I'm taking:
>Once in Message Plus, get into the compose message area, in the edit
>box where your message is supposed to go.
>Type something.
>Use your go to next line hotkey to find the send button.
>Hit routing key two, the tap or click button. All you hear is a beep;
>the button is not activated.

I haven't ever tried Message Plus, so I'm doing a bit of guessing, here. I'm
guessing that the button is still disabled, which it probably starts out as
being when there's nothing in the input area. Is a sighted person available to
watch the screen in order to confirm this?

What happens if you first close the input area? Perhaps long clicking it again
does that.

>I do not know if this is the case with everything on Android, but I
>do know it doesn't work in this particular application.

There may be something new in Android 5 that I'm unfamiliar with. I don't have
an Android 5 phone yet.

>Well, I did discover something else it didn't work with. On the
>bottom of the screen are back, home, settings. Trying to use the
>routing keys to click on any of these doesn't work either.

Due to an implementation restriction, you probably can't use the first routing
key to move the cursor to any of them. Are you saying that you can't even use
the second routing key to click on any of them?

>Are there settings in Android I can change to make Brltty work better
>with it? I disabled swipe screen lock, because sometimes Brltty has a
>hard time waking up from that. If, however, all you have to do is hit
>the power button, Blrtty wakes up right away.

Are you able to capture debug logs for the times that are giving you trouble?
For example, I'd sure like to see a debug log for when brltty isn't waking up
from a locked screen.