[BRLTTY] Queries on Navigation in Android

Rob captinlogic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:35:41 EDT 2015

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> I haven't ever tried Message Plus, so I'm doing a bit of guessing, here.
> I'm
> guessing that the button is still disabled, which it probably starts out
> as
> being when there's nothing in the input area. Is a sighted person
> available to
> watch the screen in order to confirm this?
I use the phone with both braille and Talkback, and the button was not
"dimmed." Could something be added to Brltty to indicate if a control is
dimmed or not? Perhaps an asterisk (dots 1-6) before the name of the
control?
> What happens if you first close the input area? Perhaps long clicking it
> again
> does that.
Well, that didn't work either. Still the only way to activate the button is
to swipe the screen directly to it.
> There may be something new in Android 5 that I'm unfamiliar with. I don't
> have
> an Android 5 phone yet.
If it was at all feasible, I could send you one. I have an LG phone that
isn't being used right now. It is still on Kit Kat, but I am thinking it
could be upgraded to Lollipop for purpses of testing.
>>Well, I did discover something else it didn't work with. On the
>>bottom of the screen are back, home, settings. Trying to use the
>>routing keys to click on any of these doesn't work either.

> Due to an implementation restriction, you probably can't use the first
> routing
> key to move the cursor to any of them. Are you saying that you can't even
> use
> the second routing key to click on any of them?
That's correct. All it does is make that funny, choked sounding beep.
>>Are there settings in Android I can change to make Brltty work better
>>with it? I disabled swipe screen lock, because sometimes Brltty has a
>>hard time waking up from that. If, however, all you have to do is hit
>>the power button, Blrtty wakes up right away.
>
> Are you able to capture debug logs for the times that are giving you
> trouble?
> For example, I'd sure like to see a debug log for when brltty isn't waking
> up
> from a locked screen.
I found a workaround for that. I extended the lock timer to a whole minute.
This gives Brltty time to find the braille device again, before the phone
can relock itself.
I was told by someone from Hims that a Braille Sense will not work with
Android over USB. I am thinking that if a braille display was connected via
USB, Brltty would find the device faster.
Is there a way to capture a realtime log session while the phone is in use?
That way, you could see exactly what is happening when I move the display
around.