[BRLTTY] Queries on Navigation in Android

Rob captinlogic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 23:31:59 EDT 2015

Okay, I have had a whole weekend out of town to use my phone, so I waited to
respond until I was back, with a little more information.
Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

>>I use the phone with both braille and Talkback, and the button was
>>not "dimmed."
>
> That's odd. This is something I clearly need to have a much closer look
> into.
> Does Message Plus need the device to have a SIM card, or does it send
> messages
> via the internet? I may have access to a tablet that's running Lollipop,
> but it
> doesn't support a SIM card.
I am not sure; I only started using it after I had a sim card installed. I
am going to try the Google Messenger app and see if that works any different
or better. I do not really expect it will; I am guessing controls are pretty
standard. But, nothing ventured and so forth.
>>Well, that didn't work either. Still the only way to activate the
>>button is to swipe the screen directly to it.
>
> What happens if you swipe to it, but then use brltty to click on it?
Nothing at all. The Braille Sense also has an enter key (even the learn mode
identifies it as such) and that doesn't work either. I tried it in different
places, like the power off, restart, airplane mode dialog box that comes up
when you hold down the power button, and the enter key doesn't function as
such. The routing key works to bring the screen cursor to the control, but
the second routing key just will not activate them; nor will the enter key.
The enter key does work, however, inside menus to activate submenus and
such. Is it some kind of permissions issue with Brltty not having the
requisite access?
>>I found a workaround for that. I extended the lock timer to a whole
>>minute. This gives Brltty time to find the braille device again,
>>before the phone can relock itself.
>
> That makes sense.
I did a little more checking into the problem of Brltty not finding the
device. When the phone locks itself, and you take the Braille Sense out of
terminal mode, an then put it back in, and unlock the phone, Brltty will not
reconnect to it using bluetooth. I am unsure how to resolve this. Brltty
will not reconnect to it either, if the phone is still unlocked when taking
the Braille Sense out of terminal mode. I expect this is a bluetooth
problem, however, and not a Brltty one.
>>I was told by someone from Hims that a Braille Sense will not work
>>with Android over USB. I am thinking that if a braille display was
>>connected via USB, Brltty would find the device faster.
>
> Of course it should work - with brltty, anyway. Maybe BrailleBack doesn't
> support USB yet.
I forgot my micro host cable when I went out of town, so I did not get to
test this. But I will this week.
>>Is there a way to capture a realtime log session while the phone is
>>in use? That way, you could see exactly what is happening when I move
>>the display around.

> Android always keeps a realtime log. You just need to extract it. There
> are
> notes in brltty's documentation for Android on how to do this, but you'd
> need
> the SDK. We could, of course, add a way to tell brltty to directly send us
> copy of the log, but, so far, that hasn't been done. Such a feature could
> be
> perceived as a security problem, but if the user has to explicitly request
> it,
> and if the documentation for how to do it clearly outlines the security
> risk,
> then it should be okay.
I have the SDK on my windows PC, but not on my Linux one. It pulls in a lot
of stuff I am unsure how to deal with, like Java and things like that.
When extracting the logs, am I sending personal information like my phone
number, to whom I am texting, and the contents of the text messages and so
on? I can always edit the log file to remove that stuff, but I am curious.