[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Dec 3 13:41:09 EST 2015

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Øyvind Lode on 2015/12/02 at 12:21 +0100]
>
>>* BRLTTY is splitting words.
>>I need to pan my device to read the rest of a word because it's split.
>>Also annoying.
>
> That's how brltty works when in eight-dot braille mode. This is so that as much
> as possible can be displayed at a time. We could add a preference setting if
> you're finding it really bothersome. It's just that noone has asked for it
> before.

While I am personally unlikely to use this feature, I know that it is
being offered in JAWS at least.  In fact, I remember having to turn it
off, because they had it enabled as default for new installations.
Come to think of it, I seem to remember that VoiceOver does something
similar on iOS and Mac OS X.
This seems to indicate that there is a number of users around that would
actually prefer this behaviour.  It is going to feel very strange for
those of us used to a straight 1-to-1 mapping in 8-dot mode.  But I
guess it could be useful to some as an option.  It is a bit like
forbidding hyphenation during type-setting.  Bad for maximisation, but
sometimes good for a nice reading-flow.

When underlyining attributes in this new mode, we should include *one* space before
stopping.  This is what I have seen in other screen readers, and it
makes quite a lot of sense.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕