[BRLTTY] help with blind customer with freedom scientific focus 80 (i believe)

Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint mark.croft.lug at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 17:59:24 EST 2015

hi
can anyone help me.

i just started as the driver for a blind woman that teaches & fix
other blind peoples computers for them.

I am also double up as helping out with more technie stuff like
installing software and repairing windows computers.

I was hoping that maybe i could steer some blind user to linux as a
better solution and a lot cheaper options.

One specific customer has had a virus on her windows XP computer and
now in the market for a new computer.

Her main requirement is to get her display thingy called
FreedomScientific Focus 2 40/80 , neither of us have met the customer
yet. So i will double check on the specific model , i was told it was
not the blue 80.

Person i am working for is not all the confident that linux is going
to be the best solution for 99% of her clients. I am bit of up hill
struggle too get her onboard with linux.
She read your webiste about
quote from her email "The Linux website is very out of date as most of
the Braille products mentioned are no longer used."

i guess i am lossing her already really which iis a shame only done
one job with her so far.

i guess the world still really ready for linux maybe i should just go
into "Suspended animation"

I do need help with my writing got dyselixa but never seemed to be top
of education to fix that too late now that i am 40.
maybe my life is not with computer world anymore.

do feel like giving up trying to convert people to linux...

does brltty work well under windows?

will it make her focus 80 work in windows 7/8/10?

i do not know much about the device to be honest and i am worried the
customer is going to get ripped off like most ppl with computers.

her dad hated windows 10 i was told and sent the dell laptop straight
back again so i think it more her dad that the barrier then the
actually deaf n blind woman.

its coming second hand which makes it quite hard.

i guess i will keep you all updated.

at least i got off my chest now. quite annoyed that no one listens to
my advice on computers. i was a computer programmer back in 1990s.
kept up to date with the help of linux. was really glad to bin pirated
version of windows that where a nightmare...
helped me out cos i do not have much money to spend on hardware most
of my kit here at home is donation from linux user group members

also good friend robert helps out too where he can.

my friend jim also helps where he can.

i have a chromebook off robert that was spare from a contract he had.

etc
etc
mark redditch worcestershire