[BRLTTY] Hints for "modern" audio setup?

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Sun Oct 18 21:03:11 EDT 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Dave Mielke, le Sun 18 Oct 2015 20:09:08 -0400, a écrit :
> > [quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2015/10/19 at 02:03 +0200]
> >
> > >I'm surprised still nobody has submitted a driver to expose PCM devices as a
> > >standard beep speaker, but apparently it's still not integrated.
> >
> > Thanks to a suggestion by Nicolas, I'm looking into brltty implementing just
> > such a thing.
>
> Well, it'd be useful by itself outside brltty too.

A simple user space daemon could be produced to do just that.
Especially easy to do with the PulseAudio server that can preload some
wave files with chime sounds and play them when asked.

The advantage with BRLTTY is the ability to also implement visual
console alerts on the braille display.

Nicolas