[BRLTTY] Questions about brltty and Orca

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Sep 6 16:20:00 EDT 2017

Hello,

I prepare the next Slint version http://slint.fr
On that occasion I will:
_ upgrade brltty from 4.4 to 4.5,
_ make the installer speak with speakup, espeakup and espeak,
_ make the window manager and desktops speak with Orca whenever
  possible. Orca and deps will be installed if speech is used during
  installation, else available as packages.

This leads to following questions. Let me know if some would better be
asked elsewhere.

1) Compiling brltty 5.5 with speech-dispatcher installed, I had to help
configure find the speech-dispatcher headers with:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/speech-dispatcher"
No big deal, but maybe this can be avoided modifying some file used
for configuration (sorry I am a complete beginner wrt autotools, so I
can just ask).

2) In the source archive there is a file Autostart/Udev/brltty-wrapper
including this comment:
# This script must be installed in the udev programs directory: /usr/lib/udev/

I did that but don't really understand this script's purpose so am not
sure why I need it. Context: Slackware and its derivatives do not use
systemd, and include eudev instead of udev.

Please shed some light here, knowing that we already ship the rules to
start the daemon when a terminal is connected through USB.

3) Orca has liblouis as optional dependency and if I understand well
this allows Orca to send contracted Braille to a Braille terminal.
Is that right? If yes, is it widely used? I am wondering if I should
provide a liblouis package and link Orca to that.

4) In the above described context, do I need to ship brlAPI? so far
I target end users rather that developers, so I am considering not
installing it by default, but providing it as a package. What do you
think? Is it needed beyond developing new drivers or such use cases?

Take care,

Didier