[BRLTTY] braille support disapear's at change console.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 13 10:23:05 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2019/08/12 at 00:47 +0200]

>Fran Torres, le lun. 10 juin 2019 23:11:40 +0200, a ecrit:
>>   I ussing debian GNU/Linux with speakup and BRLTTY. after boot it, i
>> having speak and braille without problems. But, if i want change the
>> console, ej:
>> ctrl+alt+f2, on the braille display apear's the following message:
>> console not in use.

This message means that nothing - not even a login prompt - has used that
virtual console yet.

>> After apears this message, i can't use braille at none tty.
>> onli i can support recobery if i reboot the computer.

Are you saying that you can't even use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch to another virtual
console that you can use?

Which release of brltty are you using?

>> On debian Jessie (8.0) i haven't got these problema. After upgrade
>> to stretch (9.8) the apears this message. Also, after upgrade the
>> debian testing buster (10.0), the message continues apearing (console
>> not in use).

The "console not in use" message was introduced into brltty a while ago, so
maybe the older releases of Debian were using an older release of brltty. It
used to be - before the "console not in use" message - that brltty would open
an unused console in order to access it. We decided that it'd be better for
brltty to not do that, i.e. to just leave the console still unused and let the
user know.

>IIRC this was a bad interaction with systemd: systemd starts the login
>prompt on-demand, but if brltty opens the console too quickly, that
>can't happen.  In my memory this was fixed, but I don't remember how,
>anybody remembers?

If he's referring to trying to change the virtual console from the braille
deivce (rather than from the keyboard) then I think it might've been this
commit which resolved that problem:

commit 8156231500e4051b2ab66e250543765da601f52a
Author: Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>
Date:   Thu Dec 10 04:52:03 2015 -0500

    Switch virtual consoles via tty1 (not the current one). (dm)

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |