[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 26 19:16:17 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Oriana Neulinger on 2019/10/26 at 17:27 -0400]

>Ok, so it sounds like the display is "focused" on the command window.

We're getting into an area where I have no personal practical experience. I
believe the default is for brltty to follow the focused window. The screen
driver has a FollowFocus parameter that controls this - it defaults to yes. See
the Sticking to the Console section of the document.

>After some research in the documentation I realized i needed to enable some
>sort of keyboard control, so i enabled the keypad one.

No, for two reasons. The first one is that support for keyboard tables hasn't
yet been implemented for the Windows platform. The other one is that a keyboard
table is just another way to do what can already be done from the braille
device - navigate the screen.

I don't know how well brltty navigates non-console windows on Windows. Most
users, as I recall, set the screen driver parameter that makes brltty only take
control when on a console window, and then let their normal screen reader take
over when on a non-console window. For example, the documentation describes how
to do this when using JAWS.

Which screen reader is your friend using? If she isn't using one, and if she'd
rather not spend a million or so to purchase one of the commercial ones, then
she might consider using NVDA (which is free). With NVDA, the way would be to
enable brltty's brlapi service, and then to select brltty as NVDA's braille
driver.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |