[BRLTTY] Braille Display Bluetooth communication

Piotr Kleinschmidt piotr.kleinschmidt at 3mdeb.com
Fri Feb 7 03:41:14 EST 2020

Hello,

I'm looking for information about communication details between Braille
Display and host device via Bluetooth connection. I have some doubts and
questions related to subject issue:

1. Some Braille Displays support Bluetooth Classic (up to 3.1) and some
support Bluetooth Low Energy (4.0 and higher). If I try to pair and then
connect to them, should I use a specific Bluetooth profile? First, I
thought connection can be established via Serial Port Profile, but as
BLE doesn't directly support it, I am uncertainty about that.

2. Does every Braille Display's manufacturer implement his own Bluetooth
communication protocol or is there any imposed standard that must be
met? There is a lack of information about that. My main source is brltty
code, which suggests that every manufacturer has his own protocol.
However, are there any common parts between them at least? For example
data frame length,  end of data sign etc.

Thank you in advance for your replies. As there is a little information
and official documentation for Braille Devices, I hope you can dispel my
doubts.

Best regards,

Piotr