[BRLTTY] Braille Display Bluetooth communication

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Feb 7 11:06:02 EST 2020

[quoted lines by Piotr Kleinschmidt on 2020/02/07 at 09:41 +0100]

>1. Some Braille Displays support Bluetooth Classic (up to 3.1) and some
>support Bluetooth Low Energy (4.0 and higher). If I try to pair and then
>connect to them, should I use a specific Bluetooth profile?

Nothing has been added to brltty for BLE so I guess we haven't yet had to deal
with a device that uses it. Which devices do you know that do?

>First, I thought connection can be established via Serial Port Profile, but as
>BLE doesn't directly support it, I am uncertainty about that.

Your observation seems to be correct. I'd be glad to work on it but can't
without an actual device.

>2. Does every Braille Display's manufacturer implement his own Bluetooth
>communication protocol or is there any imposed standard that must be met?

Each uses its own protocol. They have nothing in common.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |