[BRLTTY] [OT] Braille display recommendation

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Thu Apr 7 09:56:22 EDT 2022

Hello list,

This is an off-topic message for this list, as indicated by the subject.

I am looking for a braille display to replace my Freedom Scientific Focus
Blue. One candidate is the newer version of the same display, but I'd like to
hear other people's recommendations for other options.

I am looking for a display that is about 40 characters wide. I need bluetooth
connectivity and long battery life. USB charging is ideal. The feature that I
most appreciate in Focus is the great number of buttons is has for assigning
to different operations. In addition to the braille keyboard and cursor
routing keys, Focus Blue has 16 function keys.

I have tested Brailliant BI 40X and Active Braille 2021, but I consider them
to not have enough keys – Active braille's key layout is also not very
ergonomic in my opinion, as the display has been designed to be used with the
ATC mechanism, which is not very handy in terminal usage scenarios (and
probably not available in BRLTTY).

So if you have any remarks that might be useful for me (including possible
deficiencies of the newest Focus Blue), I'm very interested to read.

Thanks in advance!

--
Aura