[BRLTTY] Orbit Writer bluetooth braille keyboard, key presses do nothing, BRLTTY 5.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Emma Sajic esajic at mac.com
Sat Jun 25 10:23:42 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,
I've now built and installed BRLTTY 6.5 from source but am still getting
the same issue of characters I press on the Orbit Writer keyboard not
appearing in any apps I try (terminal console, gedit text editor, Atom
text editor are the ones I tried so far).

I used these two pages of instructions on the build procedure
https://brltty.app/download.html#repository
https://brltty.app/doc/Manual-BRLTTY/English/BRLTTY-3.html#ss3.2

# Checked out source code as my personal user
cd /home/emma/repos
git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty.git
git checkout BRLTTY-6.5

# Built and installed brltty as root
sudo su -
# Installed prerequisites that I didn't have
apt-get install tclsh tk libxaw7-dev libatspi2.0-dev
cd /home/emma/repos/brltty
cp -p ./Documents/brltty.conf /etc/brltty.conf
./autogen
./configure
make install

# Running brltty with sudo as root
# Running with Orbit Writer connected over USB
sudo brltty -n -e -ldebug -b bm -d usb: -L /tmp/brltty-usb.log

# Running using Bluetooth
sudo brltty -n -e -ldebug -b bm -d bluetooth:5C:B6:CC:86:F3:75 -L
/tmp/brltty-bluetooth.log

I've attached the logs.

Interestingly when I pair the Orbit Writer using Bluetooth (Bluetooth
settings pane in the GUI), it connects initially and then immediately
changes status to show up as Disconnected. This is what was happening
during my Bluetooth session above which I'm sending you the log for.

I'm using the Tuxedo fork of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which is using the Ubuntu
Budgie desktop / GUI. Could this be a factor? (They do say that their
bluetooth support is "fairly basic" here
https://github.com/BuddiesOfBudgie/budgie-desktop/issues/82 )

Cheers!
Emma